Teacher Workshop: Bringing Global Awareness into Your Classroom
Workshop Dates:Thursday, August 8th - Saturday, August 17th, 2013
Application deadline: June 1, 2013
The total number of accepted applicants will be 15Apply Now!
Live the Osa, LLC is teaming with The National Writing Project of New Hampshire to bring you this 10-day summer workshop in Costa Rica. This trip is an opportunity for teachers to live in Costa Rica, reflect on cultural differences, attend local schools, see the natural beauty of the Osa Peninsula, share ideas with colleagues and reflect on your experiences through writing.
Live the Osa is more than just a program. This is an opportunity to become part of this rural Costa Rican community, to live and work with the locals as well as collaborate with US colleagues. This program is based on strong, trustworthy connections within this welcoming community. The experience will inherently change your perspective on life and create new ideas for your classroom.
- At least 21 years of age
- At least one year of teaching experience (any level and/or subject area)
- Some Spanish background is a plus, but not required
- Some travel experience is useful, but not required
- Strong desire, confidence, motivation and leadership skills
- Strong desire to continue teaching career
- Flexible and open to new ideas and cultures
- Physically and mentally able to live in a small village in a tropical climate
- In addition to the trip, participants will be required to attend one full-day workshop a few weeks before departure and one full-day workshop upon return.
- Participants will also be required to write a reflection paper upon return.
- During the month of July, Spanish classes will be offered to participants.
- Upon return, participants may do additional coursework in order to receive Plymouth State credits.
- Returned participants from each year will be invited to be part of ongoing PLC meetings with the focus of bringing culture into your curriculum, school and district.
Group Trip Cost$2200 per person includes everything, except Plymouth State University credits (which are available for an extra fee). Please inquire about professional development funds.
|Fly to San José||On Route||Bus to Parrita||Parrita||Hotel Wilson - Parrita|
|Bus to Osa||Ceibo||Medicinal Plant Tour and Mangroves||Ceibo||Ceibo|
|Scavenger Hunt, Writing Marathon||Rosá's House||Spanish Class, Writing and Reflection||Ceibo||Ceibo|
|Sustainable Farm||At Farm||Prepare English Lessons, Writing and Reflection||Ceibo||Ceibo|
|Visit Rural Elementary Schools||Ceibo||Prepare for Homestays, Spanish Class||Homestay||Homestay|
|Observe High School Classes||At High School||World Café - Workshop with High School Teachers||Homestay||Homestay|
|Boat Across Golf to Nicuesa Eco-Lodge||Nicuesa Lodge||Rainforest Hike, Writing Marathon||Homestay||Homestay|
|Visit Private and Public Schools in Town||Lunch in Town||Spanish Class, Writing and Reflection||Homestay||Homestay|
|Pick Up from Homestays, Shopping in Town||Lunch in Town||Wrap-Up, Beach, Salsa Dancing||Playa Preciosa||Ceibo|
|Fly to San José||San José||Fly to Boston||On Route||Home|